Jun 8, 2018

Summer Junque Journal - Week 1

Hello there! Nathalie with you today.   By now, I hope you all have gathered all the supplies to join us in Vicki’s Summer Camp adventure.   If you haven’t heard of it, or would like to see the prompts, please come join us in the Vicki Boutin Mixed Media Community on Facebook;  you can find all the month’s prompts as well as lots of inspiration from the members. 



   Now, the line time flies when you are having fun suits this week to a tee!  So I thought I will share a few entries of my Junque Journal and how I created them.




·          Set up:   I decide to break my Junque Journal in weekly sections, which means I will be creating a tab at the beginning of each week.



First I cut a piece of one of the 7x10 papers from the pad, and glued it straight to the cover page.  Here I used some vellum and machine stitching to create a pocket where I can house the list of the challenges for June.  A few pieces of ephemera complete this page.



When creating the cover,  I mixed iridescent and gold glaze to add a few  details to the cover, and used the left over glaze to add the impression of the script to the first tab of the junque journal.  Next, I used warm art crayons to create the watercolor look of the background.




  I simply scribbled the crayons on my mat, water them down, then add them to the page by sprinkling droplets on top of the glaze, and finally used a brush to join the drops  together.   I chose to use the roller date stamp to add the dates to the tab of the page, and then a few details from Vicki’s paper collections.




·         Cool:   How about using the entries to work  on some art journaling!?! Well for the Cool prompt, I chose to work with the cool art crayons and ink pad wheel.  




For this I started with a well gessoed mixed media insert.  Then scribbled the cool art crayons (in  rainbow order) on my craft mat so that they will fit the dimension of the  page, water each one of them  so that they become watercolors, and then pressed the page onto the cool watercolor rainbow on the mat.  I set this aside to dry completely.  I used a second insert (in the same fashion) to create a second impression onto it.




Onto the next layer, and this time, I chose to add the cool art crayons in a dry form using the circle stencil and the stencil brush.  So once again, I scribbled the art crayon on the mat, used the stencil brush to pick up the color, and then used the brush to create the impression through the stencil just to the border of the page.  I used a bit of the leftover crayon on the brush to create a very faint impression of the stencil to the center of the page.





Next, I chose to add a series of stamped images of the dotted circles (Vicki’s latest stamp release) in their corresponding color using the cool ink pad wheel.  Then used the larger thin sunburst stamp –from the same set-  to add a few images just to the center of the page.



I used a set of dies (Altenew) to create the word “COOL” on a  piece of the second watercolored paper.  Then used some foam adhesive to add the detail  to the page.  LOVE how this turned out!





·         Glaze:  Today’s prompt is all about “Glaze”, so I chose to play with a few techniques to create this  super shimmery page.





This time,  I chose to use a brayer to add a thin layer of iridescent glaze to a mixed media insert instead of gesso.  This means, I primed my page with iridescent glaze instead of gesso.




By adding iridescent glaze as a base coat, I created this super shimmery background for my page. Though it does react with water, I wanted a shimmery base to the paper, and knew that even if I added water next, all I would create would be a shimmery watercolor look on the page.





Next I pulled the purple and fuchsia art crayons, scribbled them down on the craft mat, used some water to dilute them, and then used a brayer to add the colors onto the dried glazed insert.   Next I added a few splatters of the art crayons, and set it aside to dry completely.  Though I added water to the page, the glaze  hardly moved in the background, and can easily be seen as the base on the watercolor splatters on the page.





Once the layer was dried, I created the flower impression on the page by adding rose gold glaze to the page using the flower stencil, and the stencil brush.




I wanted to add a bit of extra texture, and create a soft detail on the background, so I pulled a stencil from my stash (Echo Park) and used a mixture of gold and iridescent glaze to create a soft trail of dots on the page.



Here I added a selfie taken a few days ago. I added a few pieces of ephemera that match the colors of the watercolor, and then used the rose gold glaze to add a few extra shimmer to some butterflies from the watercolor sticker set.
Now I think that is it for this week!  It was so much fun to create all these pages, and a great format to practice new techniques. The following video will showcase how all these were created:




That is all for me!  Remember to come join us in the Vicki Boutin Mixed Media Community Facebook page to see all the details of the Summer challenge, and remember to share your creations with us all.
XO




Materials Used:
Junque Journal
Junque Journal Mixed Media Entries
Gesso
Iridescent, gold and rose gold glaze
Art Crayons: cool, warm, and neutral sets
Waterbrushes
Misters
Circle stamp and die set
Script, circle, flower stencil
Cool and Warm Ink pad color wheels
Stencil brush
All the Good Things collection:
Rotary stamp
7x10 paper pad
Ephemera: icons and frames
Cardstock stickers
Watercolor stickers
Finishing embellishments
On the Edge embellishments

No comments:

Post a Comment